Driving Instructor - I Endorsement Course
If you want to become a driving instructor to teach people how to drive, you must first have a
current driving instructor endorsement on your driver licence. This is called an I endorsement.
To get the I endorsement on your licence you must meet several requirements (listed below), including completing
an I endorsement course. Please note that the Course is no longer run from our Wellington Branch,
Please call Iain in Auckland on 021749200 for information on the PassRite Courses in other areas. 
  • You must hold, and have held, a Full New Zealand Class 1 (car) Licence for at least two years

  • You must apply for the I endorsement at a driver licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ)

  • To apply you must provide a driver's licence medical, acceptable evidence of your identity, and pay the application fee

  • You must be assessed as a "fit and proper" person by the NZ Transport Agency

  • You must pass a Class 1 (car) Full Licence Test, or have passed it in the last 5 years

  • You must complete an approved I Endorsement Course and present the Course Certificate to the licensing agency

Please note: We recommend applying for your I endorsement at the driver licensing agency prior to sitting your course.
The I Endorsement Course is the same for those wanting to instruct cars (Class 1) as those wanting to instruct in Classes 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 though there are additional application requirements for those Classes of instructor licence. If this applies to you please contact the NZ Transport Agency on 0800 822 422 to discuss.
auk car and l plate